Chicken swing



I've seen some pictures of chicken swings on the internet and people say that their chickens love it. So I decided to make one for Buffy's group.
 

The reason why I installed it in Buffy's run was because I read that younger hens and pullets were more adventurous and therefore more likely to try out a swing. I can say from my observations that the Leghorns and Marans have loads of energy and are always running and jumping all over the place. In comparison, Penguin's group are more likely to sit or laze around most of the day.

This swing was just made of timber offcuts hung off a bracket.




Before I posted this I was wondering if I had made the swing too high as it had been up for ages and I hadn't seen any of the chickens use it.

BUT on the weekend, I saw from a distance, Buffy take a really high jump/fly onto the swing! YES he jumped up, took one swing and flew off or fell off. Either way, someone used the swing!

Generally it's hard to see what Buffy's group does in their run. Usually when they see me coming, they run up to the gate, either looking for food in my hands or to be let out to free range. They only play around when they think I have left them in their run for the day.

Anyway, I'm pleased that one of them at least had a go.

What do you think? Would they use it? Maybe I should hang it a bit lower...

Oh well, all in the name of environment enrichment!

Cuddle a chicken :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ivermectin for chickens

Poultry Lice Treatment - Pyrethrum bath

Egg cuticles - The outermost layer of the eggshell