1st Day of Winter...and it was a cold one!

Penguin looking very relaxed during his morning cuddle

Brrrr....I thought last year was cold, but up in the Hills, it's even colder!
So what do you do when it is cold?

CUDDLE YOUR CHICKEN!!!!




 Yes that's right, everyone should cuddle a chicken. They are warm and fluffy and they poo all over you. Joking, joking. So far our chickens tend to hold it in and not poo on us. I wonder why. I've only had them poo on me once and I think that was because I caught them by surprise.

So how cold so far? This was taken at about 7:45 in the morning. I think the weather bureau said it got down to about 2.6 degrees in the night! Oh yes, finger and toe freezing and snot-running nose cold!

3.1 degrees...brrrrr....

We have had wonderfully clear days, but that's all because it's so cold! It does give clear views of the city as I drive in to work.


As usual, I've been worrying about the cold and the chickens at night. I half expect for them to be frozen and I always listen out for their morning crow at about 5:30 am (always feel happy to hear them in the morning!).

I've been looking up several poultry books, websites and forums to see what I can do for my little feathered friends. They have all stated that they need a draught free coop. Heating not really required unless you live in serious sub-zero winters. I've seen several pictures of chickens walking about in the snow, so that must mean that my chickies will be fine right?

They were right.

I hear their crow every morning, they are running around outside in the cold weather. If it gets too cold, they go back into the coop to warm up, then out again.

It was 3 degrees in the coop, so must have been less outside and here they are, having a good feed of sprouted seed grass.
Having sprouted greens through the wire mesh

One thing that has become a routine though, is cuddles in the morning.

Buffy pondering what to do that day during cuddle time

Penguin and Buffy have been really loving their cuddles in these frosty mornings. Penguin even has a particular way of standing to tell me that he wants to be picked up. He turns sideways to me and stands very still. If he wants my attention, he flaps his wings, and if I still don't pay any attention to him, he starts to crow.

The other day I spent ages just holding him and I thought it was probably enough for him. So I put him down. Usually he waddles off to do something else, but this time he just stood there and stared at me. Then he came closer and gently pecked my leg. He wanted more cuddles! He was so happy to be picked up again (and yes, I was late for work).

Not all the chickens are that enamoured with cuddles though. The Leghorns don't like to be picked up. The Araucana hens don't like to be held for long. I did manage to catch Chocolate though and boy did she complain the whole time!

Help! I'm nice and warm. Save me!!

 I also wondered if the chickens needed something to wear. You know, you put coats on dogs. Well... the other day I put a scarf on Penguin's neck during his morning cuddle. Just to see if he liked it.

I think the grey suits him.


Stylish. See, he doesn't mind it






"Geroff me! Gerroff!"
Oh..he doesn't want it.
Looking that the chickens behaviour, they don't look so cold that they are going to get ill. They don't even shiver!
I have noticed that they fluff up their feathers more to trap warm air next to their skin. You've all heard of feather and down jackets and blankets right? Well that's what they are wearing. They just look fluffier (fatter) than normal.

Fromage looking like she indulged in breakfast too much!
If my chickens are not running around outside, they huddle in the coop. Penguin's coop feel cooler than Buffy's, so I have supplemented it with a thick layer of straw.

Extra straw in the coop. Flopsy is enjoying the extra insulation
If it is wet and windy, they return to the coop for a snooze or snuggle together to keep warm


Goldilocks having a morning nap. She's all fluffed up

Another routine that we have developed is breakfast. They look forward to a morning treat. Sometimes it is fruit and veggies, but in winter, I like to give them something a bit heartier and a bit higher in calories. This morning's breakfast was not so dissimilar to mine. Hot oats, with a sprinkle of chilli pepper, dried fruits, yoghurt and sunflower seeds.

Yes, warm breakfast was a big hit. I give it to them warm, not hot. You don't want to burn their throats!


I just have to remember to supplement their diet with a bit of greens. They are in their run all day and have pretty much eaten anything green. Soursob or clover is loved by my chickens, they will eat the leaves and leave the stem.

Clover and grass bouquet
Hang it up and it's a play toy for them all day!


I have noticed that the pullets are far more active than the hens. The hens generally stand around and sleep, whilst the pullets are running here there and everywhere. Buffy looks quite tired trying to keep up with them. It's not uncommon to see him trailing the Leghorns, catch up with them and immediately sit down for a rest.

For night times, they have worked out their own ways of keeping warm. Buffy's group still perches, but the all snuggle together (except Houdini, she only snuggles with her sister and no one else) to keep each other warm. Penguin, DumDum and DeeDee all snuggle together on their perch. When I check on them at night after I come home from work (it's already pitch black by 6pm), I give them a pat and I find that although the outer layer of feathers feel cold, underneath, it feels quite warm. 

Also, a bigger perch means that they can place their feathers over their feet to keep them warm at night. I touched Penguin's feet tonight to feel if they were cold, and they were toasty warm!

The other chickens who are averse to snuggling with other chickens have chosen their own sleep spots. Effie has picked a nest box to sleep in. Flopsy has chosen the spot (with a lot of straw) between the nest box and the wall and Pippy in Buffy's coop has also chosen the nest box.


Flopsy is definitely not a fan of Winter

So there you have it, I shouldn't worry, they know how to keep warm. I try to reason that the wild birds don't sleep in heated rooms, but a part of my mind says "but they are not wild birds!".
If you are worried about your birds, this is my experience so far and they seem fine. A bit irritated by the cold, but not much more. Even though I think it is "so-cold-I-can't-feel-my-fingers-and-toes"and "my-nose-won't-stop-running" cold, the chickens just fluff up their feathers and get on with their daily business.

Things to keep in mind:
1. Keep their coop as draught free as possible, but still with ventilation
2. They will eat more due to the cold
3. Make sure they have dry place to shelter if it rains
4. Don't forget their veggies if they decide to be voluntary indoor birds

Love your chickies and remember to CUDDLE A CHICKEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ivermectin for chickens

Poultry Lice Treatment - Pyrethrum bath

Egg cuticles - The outermost layer of the eggshell